According to the Boksburg North SAPS communications officer, Capt Juanita Coetzer, theft of and out of vehicles is on the increase.
She offers these tips to avoid becoming a possible target:
• Don’t leave your vehicle on the pavement overnight.
• Always double check if your vehicle has been locked and that all windows are closed before walking away.
• Don’t leave your vehicle in dark and desolated places.
• Try to implement measures to improve your vehicle’s safety mechanisms (locks, alarm, tracker, etc.).
• Report suspicious people or activity.
• If your vehicle can’t be secured in a garage, park it close to the house in a well-lit area.
“If you give a criminal the opportunity to commit a crime, he will grab it with both hands,” said Coetzer.
“We encourage residents to be proactive in securing their vehicles.”