The Apache Junction Police Department offers some simple, basic crime prevention tips for residents, tourists during summer travels.
According to a press release, travelers can take precautionary steps to minimize their chances of becoming a victim while traveling as “you can never be too prepared for safety.”
Summer safety involves the following traveling recommendations:
- Make sure your vehicle is in good working order by getting an inspection to include basic mechanical and tires checked.
- Since many people have a global positioning system (GPS) in their cars or on a smart phone, make sure the GPS works; also have a printed version of your route.
- Consider the best time to leave to avoid heavy traffic periods.
- If you have roadside service as part of your car insurance, keep that information or another resource handy in case of a breakdown.
- Check the weather forecast along your route as storms can arise quickly.
- Keep luggage and valuables secure, out of sight, or remove them when you park your car.
- Speak to your children about talking to strangers and always accompany them; also have a plan for what to do if separated.
- Have a cell phone and charger available for emergencies
- Consider using a smartphone application if an insurance company has one to easily and quickly call for help.
- Limit how much is shared on social media as this tells people when you are not home; wait until you return from your trip to share experiences.